Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Good advice, or just taking your money?

There are some very good financial advice books out there.  I personally like The Wealthy Barber by David Chilton & Findependence Day by Jonathan Chevreau.  Both are Canadian books that describe the Canadian tax situation, with Findependence Day being the more recent of the two books.

A popular book for the last decade has been Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki.  He has some very good advice in this book about how to think and act differently with money.  I do not agree with everything, but I do like most of the concepts, and overall I think it is a good book.

As people look at buying these books for their advice, and try to figure out how to make more money for themselves, they often are willing to pay a small fee to take a seminar from a trusted author or organization to help motivate them and teach them how to make or save more money. 
It’s a very big industry, and there are many of these organizations are genuinely trying to help people.  Sometimes, however, things do not come off as being as helpful as you would hope.

Check out the link to the Market Place TV show on CBC for an investigation into what should be a good seminar on how to make money.

As always, my general investment advice is that if it seems too good to be true, it is.  Conspiracies usually only make a few people rich, and often turn out to be pyramid schemes.  And secret stock tips are often trying to take you for your money, or those tips are illegal as insider trading.  Please be careful.  You have worked hard for your money, and I would hate to see anyone lose money because they fell for a Get Rich Quick scheme.

Never be afraid to talk to a financial professional about your investment options.  Find someone you can trust who will be honest with you, even willing to tell you when you are wrong.  The you have a relationship that will help you build your financial future.
Jerry

1 comment:

  1. I have always figured these types of seminars are just scams. They're trying to teach you how to make more money, by charging $2,000. I went to a seminar a few years ago that cost $25 to register for a 2 hour evening. The whole thing was a sales job to get you to buy into a 2 day seminar at $2,000. A complete rip off. I try to warn everyone against these types of things. I go to my financial advisor I've had for several years to get the advice I trust. Not some overnight get-rich-quick scam artist. TM

    ReplyDelete

We would like to hear from you. Please keep it clean.